Thursday, July 14, 2005

Be Wat U Wanna Be When there's Still TIME

here's a story i wanna share with u guys...

>>The first day of school our professor introduced himself and
>>challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood
>>up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.
>>
>>I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me
>>with a smile that lit up her entire being.
>>
>>She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose.
>>
>>I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?"
>>
>>I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she
>>gave me a giant squeeze.
>>
>>"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked.
>>
>>She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married,
>>and have a couple of kids.."
>>
>>"No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to
>>be taking on this challenge at her age.
>>
>>"I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting
>>one!" she told me.
>>
>>After class we walked to the student union building and shared a
>>chocolate milkshake.
>>
>>We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we
>>would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized
>>listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and
>>experience with me.
>>
>>Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily
>>made friends wherever she went.
>>
>>She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon
>>her from the other students. She was living it up.
>>
>>At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football
>>banquet.
>>
>>I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped
>>up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she
>>dropped her three by five cards on the floor.
>>
>>Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and
>>simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and
>>this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so
>>let me just tell you what I know."
>>
>>As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, "We do not stop
>>playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing.
>>
>>There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and
>>achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've
>>got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.
>>
>>We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know
>>it!
>>
>>There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.
>>
>>If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and
>>don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am
>>eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do
>>anything I will turn eighty-eight.
>>
>>Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The
>>idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no
>>regrets.
>>
>>The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for
>>things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with
>>regrets"
>>
>>She concluded her speech by courageously singing "The Rose."
>>
>> She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in
>>our daily lives.
>>
>>At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all
>>those years ago.
>>
>>One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep.
>>
>>Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to
>>the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to
>>be all you can possibly be.

Posted by Fr3aK[A]z0iD at 9:24 AM

<$BlogItemCommentCount$> Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>

Links to this post:

<$BlogBacklinkControl$> <$BlogBacklinkTitle$> <$BlogBacklinkDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogBacklinkSnippet$>
posted by <$BlogBacklinkAuthor$> @ <$BlogBacklinkDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>

<< Home